Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Happy Terrier Day!

BU Hockey Parade

Today April 14, 2009 in The City of Boston is officially Terrier Day.

I would like to thank Lindsay's former boss, Mayor Menino for the proclamation that he signed that makes today Terrier Day. I'm a proud alumna of Boston University home of the 2009 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Champions and having it be Terrier Day is amazing. I wish I could have been there today to watch the Duck Boat Parade and rally at Marsh Plaza in person. The church in the background is Marsh Chapel, where I got married in '03, its never looked more BU-tiful!

So what's with the "Burn the Boats?" here is an excerpt from The Boston Globe's Dan Shaughnessy to help explain:

All season long, BU players wore T-shirts emblazoned with "Burn the Boats."

After the game, Parker explained the theme. It turns out the 16th-century explorer didn't want to hear any whining from his men as they invaded what is now Mexico in search of Aztec treasures.

"The last night going inland to get the treasure he gave one last order and that order was 'burn the boats,' " said Parker. "They asked him why and he said, 'I want to raise the level of commitment. If you want to get this treasure, you have to raise the level of commitment because nobody else can do this.' His quote was, 'If we're going back, we're going back in their boats.'

"We decided that was going to be the theme for our team. Raise the level of commitment, boys. Every time you see the phrase 'burn the boats,' you're going to know the commitment needed here. The T-shirt showed a pot of gold with DC in the back. They got that pot of gold tonight."


Coach Parker wanted each guy on the team to be more committed to the goals of the season and to the team and once you "burn your boats" you have to be committed, no turning back.

I would like to thank the hockey team for bringing home the second National Title home to Comm Ave since I've been a Terrier, words cannot express how much that final game meant to every member of Terrier Nation. And to Jack Parker, I wish I could find a better phrase than "thank you" to express what you have meant to me and BU.

No comments: